As aubergines are in season from now until around October, here's an easy recipe for lamb moussaka. I cheat and use ready made white sauce but if you fancy making your own then that's fine too!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g lamb mince
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 large aubergines, sliced
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- oil for frying
- 1 jar white sauce
- Handful of grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 190c, 375f.
- Place onion, garlic and mince in a pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Add the tomatoes and herbs, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the aubergine slices in batches for 3-4 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Place a layer of aubergines in an ovenproof dish, followed by a layer of the mince mixture and repeat.
- Pour the white sauce over the top and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown